[plug] A Call for help regarding embedding linux

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Thu Oct 24 20:29:09 WST 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, quoth Peter Revill:

> hard drive etc. required to run the mp3s, (except in Matt's car, which
> is a 4wd and is constantly bumped around and therefore must use a CDROM
> and floppy disk to boot Linux)

Wow, I thought you were talking about me for a second there.

I have a 4wd which doesn't have the most smoothest of rides, and I
needed to get a CD Player with 10 second memory to avoid skip.

> It is recommended the power be controlled with a inverter,

A DC-DC converter might be a better idea, if you can source (or build)
one - the inverters get quite hot and it seems a waste generating AC when
a computer runs mostly on DC anyway.

> Types of input:

Another alternative:

www.lirc.org

build yourself an IR receiver and use that old remote you found lying
around for that Stereo you no longer have.

 - Matt(who considered building one for a while, but realised there's
        no good place to hide one in his rag-top 4wd)