[plug] A Call for help regarding embedding linux

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Oct 24 20:58:35 WST 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 18:44:44 +0800 Peter Revill <arevill at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>   Ok boys and girls, im getting my first car as you may know, ill
> probably have it by next weekend, and boy do i have some plans for it.
>
> The very first thing i want for it, is an mp3 player, now this is
> incredibly expensive, so i had a better idea: screw buying one, im going
> to make one.
>
> Bare with me at this point and check out my proposal:

Bare what exactly ? :)

Here's the strategy I'd use.

1.  Cancel BigPond account
2.  Sign up with less costly ISP and start saving :-P
3.  Purchase a http://www.mini-itx.com/ from http://www.dma.net.au/ (i think) with savings.
4.  Purchase a 20GB laptop drive with rest of savings (they handle lots of G's).
5.  Wire up some DC-DC converters to make vehicle 12V into the board volts needed.
6.  Load debian and MP3's on drive and attach to mini-ITX.
7.  If you're fancy, attach LCD display for coolness using available interface on one model (can't remember which).
7b. Alternatively, just a power LED for the price sensitive. Claim it is the enhanced Bang and Olfson version.
8.  Attach an IR led pair on serial interface.
9.  Write Java code or perl to download playlist from Palm.
10. Wire amp to available audio interface.
11. Wire speakers.
12. Press <Play> on Palm_MP3_Vehicle_Player killer app.
13. Turn up the volume.

Advantage: No other annoying person can twiddle the playlist without your Palm.

Seriously, using full size M/B and an inverter will be expensive overall and will drain your battery. If you use Mini-ITX it will be a package about the size of a CDROM and can go under the dash for Palm IR access. If you _must_ hide it in the boot, use a USB interface to run up to the dash to plug in Palm (it has USB doesn't it ?).

Overall, a car CD player is cheaper, simpler, easier and of course completely lacks any geek cred. You _know_ what to do ;)

cu
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/