[plug] Self-contained bootdisk (Re: [plug] A Call for help regarding embedding linux)

Sham Chukoury chukours at ses.curtiin.edu.au
Fri Oct 25 01:31:39 WST 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 01:06, Sham Chukoury wrote:

> BTW, how bout throwing in a CD reader of some kind - might make swapping
> MP3's and things easier. Always useful for refreshing the mobile music
> collection. :)

I'm replying to myself now... Went back to original post and found that
Peter did mention chucking in a CD reader of some kind. *bows in shame*

Speaking of "...must use a CDROM and floppy disk to boot Linux" Has
anyone ever made up their own self-contained Linux bootdisk?? I was
trying that over the weekend, so I could create a base Linux
installation on my laptop (which currently runs on Win98, but is
frustratingly clumsy). The laptop is an old Compaq Armada 4131T with a
mere P133, 48Mb RAM and 2Gb HDD. The only kind of network connectivity
is via a parallel port and there is no CD drive. I tried readily
available bootdisks from the Net, but after a while, I figured that
tinkering around and making up my own self-contained Linux system on a
couple of floppies would teach me more about the OS. :) I went thru the
Bootdisk-HOWO. So far, I only got the kernel booting. It then gets to
the point of asking me to insert the floppy with the ramdisk filesystem
image - which I do - and then stops dead. I've got no clue what's
wrong... Maybe I didn't transfer the image properly, maybe I didn't link
everything properly, maybe it's all just wrong. I dunno. :( Any
suggestions?

§:|
"bash: fortune: command not found" - fortune, on RH Linux 7.3
(VMWare/WinXP)