[plug] A Call for help regarding embedding linux

Sham Chukoury chukours at ses.curtiin.edu.au
Fri Oct 25 01:06:31 WST 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 20:58, Harry McNally wrote:
> Here's the strategy I'd use.
>
> 1.  Cancel BigPond account
> 2.  Sign up with less costly ISP and start saving :-P
> 3.  Purchase a http://www.mini-itx.com/ from http://www.dma.net.au/ (i think) with savings.
> 4.  Purchase a 20GB laptop drive with rest of savings (they handle lots of G's).
> 5.  Wire up some DC-DC converters to make vehicle 12V into the board volts needed.
> 6.  Load debian and MP3's on drive and attach to mini-ITX.
> 7.  If you're fancy, attach LCD display for coolness using available interface on one model (can't remember which).
> 7b. Alternatively, just a power LED for the price sensitive. Claim it is the enhanced Bang and Olfson version.
> 8.  Attach an IR led pair on serial interface.
> 9.  Write Java code or perl to download playlist from Palm.
> 10. Wire amp to available audio interface.
> 11. Wire speakers.
> 12. Press <Play> on Palm_MP3_Vehicle_Player killer app.
> 13. Turn up the volume.
>
> [...]
>
> Overall, a car CD player is cheaper, simpler, easier and of course completely lacks any geek cred. You _know_ what to do ;)

Just went and had a look at the mini-itx. I have to agree with Harry -
buying a CD player simply lacks any kind of geek cred... The Mini-ITX is
da ultimate heart of any geek dream concoction! :P~~ I've already got
ideas on what i'd do to my car, when i get one. ;)

The DC-DC idea is definitely good - no need having to convert voltages
up and down the scale and losing power all along. However, I reckon some
electronic regulating gizmo should be in place between the battery and
the PC... Ya never know - car batteries ain't exactly made to be
friendly to silicon-based intelligent life forms. :)

BTW, how bout throwing in a CD reader of some kind - might make swapping
MP3's and things easier. Always useful for refreshing the mobile music
collection. :)

If you do go for the Palm controlled version, I reckon an LCD screen can
be overlooked - got plenty of LCD on the Palm itself. :) That is,
assuming you don't check your calendar (why would you do that while
driving, anyway?) while playing the MP3's... Just need a kind of in-car
cradle for the Palm so it looks like an integrated geek-style audio
system. ;)

> Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/
No, but I heard about these people yesterday... I'm thinkin' about
volunteering some day. :P

§:)
O yes, finally got RH Linux 7.3 running under VMWare... No more using MS
Outlook with Bill's enhanced character set. :) Go Evolution!