[plug] Bill's enhanced standards (Re: [plug] Massive DoS attack?)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 25 14:57:03 WST 2002

> Umm yes. Software changes are kool... But consider this:
> - The BIOS is password protected, so I can't find out what
> its settings are and I can't change them.

Wow, that's offensive. My response to getting a PC with that particular
setting would be to take it back and say "its broken, sorry - I can't do
what I need to do with it and it isn't functioning as a PC"... or short
the CMOS clear jumper.

> - I don't want to entirely get rid of WinXP - other ppl
> still want to use it. There's too much stuff (in a
> disorganised fashion) on the HDD right now for me to be
> able to re-partition.

... and of course there's no easy way to resize NTFS volumes ... is
there? Actually I thought that "Disk Manager" could do it but I could
easily be mistaken, as I have only win2k on my laptop ( booted <
1/month, normally Debian) and NT4 at work which is too fragile to touch
without a good reason.

> Lesson: Buy a barebones system and build ur own custom PC -
> Warranties are kinda crap.

Warranties are good for only one thing - hardware failures. Even then
they have their downsides - most OEMs now ship a "system recovery" CD
that when inserted into the PC during boot re-images the disk with a
nice, clean windows install... and none of the users's files. This has
happened to a couple of people here at work, one with an IBM and one
with an HP machine. In neither case did the support person tell them
that the CD would do this, and the cd began the image automatically
without even an "are you sure?". I was stunned - am stunned - that this
is allowed.

A friend of mine bought an HP a few years ago too, and it used to crash
_very_ regularly, but only under noticeable loads so it wouldn't crash
just after a clean install. HP refused to acknowledge that there was a
problem, because "it works with the software it was shipped with (HP's
version of win98) and we don't support 3rd party software". Hmm... a
computer that doesn't do anything - really useful. Yeah, warranties are
crap.

OTOH I can attest that for a group of machines > 4 or 5, you _do_ _not_
want to custom-build. I had to unfortunately and it is very far from fun
maintaining them... as I told the boss it would be. *sigh*.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)