[plug] Bill's enhanced standards (Re: [plug] Massive DoS attack?) [way OT]

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Fri Oct 25 13:25:09 WST 2002

> Lesson: Buy a barebones system and build ur own custom PC -
> Warranties are kinda crap.

Every 'big brand' computer I have ever bought with a warranty (IBM, HP,
Compaq) has a quick-release non-sealed case (they were all desktop cases
btw - lucky I guess).  When things break on it, they send the new components
out next business day free of charge if I say I am competent and they make
me replace them myself, I could gut the machine and do whatever I wanted
with it and they'd never know (or care) as long as I sent back the original
bits when i return anything  ...  so the lesson may also be to get the
*right* warranty.

If you deal with 70+ slapped together computers, the warranty claims on
broken bits gets way out of hand when you bought them at different times,
from different suppliers as a single component.  Pre-fabricated computers
means more time playing with Linux at work too :)

Having said that though, when at home I'd never buy a complete system.

Ryan