[plug] X-Box status update

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sat Oct 26 12:03:43 WST 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 17:05:22 +0800 (WST) Matt Kemner <zombie at penguincare.com.au> wrote:

> > c) Who's volunteering to do the hardware modifications required?
>
> Thanks to Harry for volunteering!

No worries Matt. I'm in.

I'd prefer to tackle the hardware side in two tranches.

Tranche 1:

At a PLUG @ UCC (or vanilla UCC Friday evening) meeting, get hands on box and dismantle to look at options for a tidy mod. I made comments in a previous post about minimising the signal lengths. The guys making mods with long pigtails don't know about ground bounce and nasty EMI radiation. And they talk of mysterious instabilities. Indeed :)

Explain the options and seek general agreement on what I propose. This is a team effort after all :-)

Reassemble box.

Tranche 2:

At a subsequent PLUG @ UCC or vanilla UCC, arrive bearing a fabricated mod board and all of the tools to mod the box. At the risk of being nervous in front of an audience ;) this provides a hands-on workshop so local people can do their own mod with confidence.

At both meetings we will need a quality colour scanner in order to take images of various bits for the documentation. A camera with a good macro lense would be good too.

How does that sound ?

cu
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/