[plug] X-Box status update

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Fri Oct 25 17:05:22 WST 2002

Since everyone's gone quiet again, I thought I'd put in another request
for discussion on the remaining issues, as well as on any issues I have
not foreseen.

> a) Legality - ie is Microsoft going to get nasty because a Linux User
>    Group is advertising the fact they are running Linux on an X-Box?

>From what I can tell, the only point of contention was the BIOS used on
the mod-chips, which originally used some Microsoft code to work.
The latest xbox BIOS versions available from xbox-linux.sf.net do not
contain any MS code, so no copyright is infringed.

With Sony losing the recent mod-chip case it appears that the use of
mod-chips is legal in Australia.

Anyone aware of other legal issues?

> b) Uses - what services would be best moved onto this faster platform?
>   (eg the website)

I guess we move the website first, and then worry about moving other
services as required.

> c) Who's volunteering to do the hardware modifications required?

Thanks to Harry for volunteering!

> d) Who's volunteering to do the software installation?

Thanks to Tony for volunteering!

> e) We would like a volunteer to document the process step-by-step so we
     can publish it on the PLUG website.

Thanks to Colin for volunteering!

Frank's offered to be our Technical advisor, since he's already succeeded
in getting Debian running on his X-box, and is currently looking at
Mandrake.

He's also offered to donate the required hardware.

Is everyone still keen to do this?  I'm assuming weekends are most
suitable for everyone concerned, although of course the hardware mod and
software install do not necessarily need to happen on the same day...

 - Matt