Drives. Was - Re: [plug] New box :p)

garry garbuck at tpg.com.au
Sat Oct 26 12:54:36 WST 2002

When I bought my 80GB I was told that IBM sources their drives from a couple
of different makers.

I ended up buying a Barracuda IV, I liked the fluid mounting and quiet
operation. I was prepared to do without 15,000rpm or SCSI performance, but it
was able to handle the load of the Installfest 2002 as the server, and makes
me smile daily as a local mirror! I guess for the load (and environment)
I'll ever put on it it will give me service for a few years.

And the difference between it and a IBM drive was less than a box of beer..
(~10%)

HTH

Garry