[plug] Commercial: 5-day Rookie's Linux Course

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sun Oct 27 08:43:02 WST 2002

At 09:11 AM 10/25/2002, you wrote:

>While the course(s) look(s) interesting, it would be waaay out of the
>financial league of all except a few...

In the current IT market, sometimes a piece of paper is useful. If I was
going to spend this sort of money tho', I would consider doing a course
that leads to certification or a degree.

At the moment, I consider that it would be better spent on hardware, and to
learn and garner experience by participating in activities with my peers
(e.g. PLUG and or SLPWA), and participating in Open Source projects.

When I am sent a resume by someone seeking work experience or a job, I
always hit the 'Net. I believe that any IT professional, especially those
that wish to focus on Linux and Open Source, need to have have participated
in the Open Source community. This is worth more to me than any piece of
paper. And I don't mean fancy web pages, but simply using the Internet as
resource. For example, using email discussion lists such as this one to
clearly articulate a question they may have, and even being able to answer
or assist someone else. Volunteering for a task that is sorely needed by an
Open Source project, and mentoring other volunteers to participate.

Recognising what you don't know, being able to seek the information, and
problem solving skills are things that you can attain yourself. If
certification does become important at a later stage, then you have a
background of self learning, and will be equipped for it.

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)