[plug] Strange errors

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 25 07:26:05 WST 2002

Hi all,

I have some strange errors on a new install of rh7.3.  A previous
install worked fine, but I needed to change the partion layout to
consolidate some free space.  I left /home and /var alone.  Now the
machine won't shutdown cleanly; it shuts down all services and then says
'INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel'. It gets no further.  I
can still switch between consoles but not log in obviously.

When the machine is up, it will accept remote logins, samba shares work
fine, but pop and imap access to mail is rejected, despite the imap rpm
being installed and supposedly running.

Through traffic is also blocked, despite the firewall being configured
properly (ie, the same as before when it did work,
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward and ip_dynaddr being 1.  I can ping from
this machine to the outside world, but not through it from another
machine on the network.

This is all in spite of two new installs, formatting the / partition but
not /home and /var.  This problem is a little serious because the
machine is the mail server and internet gateway for the office.  Anyone
got any ideas?