[plug] Woody 'make xconfig' won't run, 'make menuconfig' does.

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Thu Oct 31 09:55:39 WST 2002

On 31 Oct 2002, quoth Daniel:

> I may have overlooked something obvious on my woody:
> I can use 'make menuconfig' but 'make xconfig' doesn't come up.
[...]
> Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
> environment variable

That's the real error - no $DISPLAY set.
I assume you're logged into X as a user but trying to run make xconfig as
root - any X program will fail in this situation with the same error.

An easy fix:

copy .Xauthority from your home directory to /root/ and do:
export DISPLAY=:0

Alternatively, you could: chown -R <user> /usr/src/linux
and run make xconfig/make bzImage etc as the user.

 - Matt