[plug] modern apple file sharing for linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Sep 2 14:22:30 WST 2002

> It was a problem with a series of versions of netatalk (1.2-> 1.5 ??)
>
> If you have a look at the release notes for the last couple of versions
> you'll see the specific bug: "Fixes problem of Photoshop truncated files" or
> similar.

Gack. Just re-read the docs in /usr/share/doc - seems its longer than I
thought since I last read them and there was stuff all of any use in
there last I looked. Sure enough in NEWS, there it was. I just tested
again and, what do you know, Photoshop works fine now. *hoorray*. I fear
my memory must be going, since I thought I'd tested the woody netatalk
release already...

Seems its time for another test - if I can find any brave volunteers.
For all I know a lot of our mac crashes could actually be caused by NT4
file sharing, since nobody else I know has macs that crash quite _this_
often (1 - 3 times daily) so getting rid of NT could prove very good.
Simplifies backups too since there's no way to get apple file data from
NT4 -> linux w/o going through a mac.

> As for Quark we haven't had any problems - but we have with newer version of
> Microsoft products.
>
> Hope that helps some.

We don't use MS anything on the macs, thankfully. They're crashy enough
as it is.... oh, for Quark + Photoshop upgrades for OSX without the
stellar pricetag.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)