[plug] Kylix Experiences

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Sep 3 20:56:21 WST 2002

Fellow Plugs,

Has anyone had much experience with Kylix yet?

I've used Open Edition 2 and 3 on Debian and was wondering if anyone
else has done the same and/or seen the following issues:

v2 binaries work fine on all my machines however on various other slower
machines report 'Bus Error' when run.  Smaller binaries on the slower
machines tend to work, but larger ones don't (50-100k bigger).

v3 binaries work in the IDE but never run on any machine reporting on
all my machines that an unresolved pointer exists to initPAnsiString and
on the slower machines it reports 'Bus Error'

v2 floods the screen when running ldd on a binary whereas v3 seems to
have far less depencancies, which may account for some of its apparent
low-portability.

People running RedHat and  SuSe seem to be very happy with Kylix, but I
can't imagine why binaries compiled on those systems would be any
different to the ones mine makes.

Any thoughts on these matters?

Apart from that and the resultant non-portability, Kylix is rather neat :)

Ryan