[plug] System slowdown help

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Sep 4 08:18:49 WST 2002

G'day,

On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 18:29:39 -0400, Steege, Phil E wrote:

| As a related question to DHCP, I tried to ping some hosts using
hostnames
| only and it did not work.  The machine I was pinging from (the one I
set to
| DHCP) only has the localhost info in the /etc/hosts file  The ping
works
| fine when I used their IP addresses.
| How does a DHCP client keep track of other network machines by
hostname when
| their IP addresses can get changed by DHCP on the next reboot?

It can't, unless you give your machines fixed IPs. e.g., in
your /etc/dhcpd.conf, put something like:

host erdos {
  hardware ethernet 00:80:AD:76:35:7D;
  fixed-address erdos.home;
}

host pythagoras {
  hardware ethernet 00:C1:28:00:EE:E9;
  fixed-address pythagoras.home;
}

and so on for all the other machines you have.  You can also use DHCP to
set
up DNS and default gateways and such for the other machines:

option routers euclid.home;
option netbios-name-servers euclid.home;
option domain-name-servers euclid.home;
option domain-name "home";

| Should I be running a local DNS server for my workstations ?

Possible.  Bind is a real pain to set up, though. I'm not even sure it's
possible if you have dynamically assigned IPs.

CP.