[plug] System slowdown help

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Sep 4 12:41:22 WST 2002

> Possible.  Bind is a real pain to set up, though. I'm not even sure it's
> possible if you have dynamically assigned IPs.

Umm... I've got to say that bind is IMHO really quite easy to set up,
especially if you decide to be slack and use webmin. There's a really
good webmin module for bind.

Its well worth the (small) trouble on a small network - having proper
DNS etc makes it much nicer to work on. I use DHCP with statically
assigned addresses ( I use dhcp because we also have transcient clients
eg people's laptops ) plus bind. It works very well, esp when combined
with handy things like htb traffic shaping/control.

As for BIND with dynamic IPs - yeah, I'm pretty sure it can be done but
I seem to remember reading that its a bit of a kludge at this point. I
haven't tried it myself yet.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)