[plug] Debian 3.0

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Wed Sep 4 11:25:38 WST 2002

I am about to install the latest version of Debian on my new AMD 1800XP
computer (well, not exactly new ... and upgrade).

When I previously installed it on the AMD 233 MHz CPU model the only part of
the installation I was unsure of was in the partitioning of the hard disk.

I have 50% allocated to Windows XP because unfortunately I need it for my
work for the time being.

When partitioning the other 50%, what do I need?
a boot partition
a user partition, and
a swap partition?

You cannot have a boot partition if Windows is already bootable - is that
right?  (Otherwise Windows gets confused ???)

Also, in the partitioning software which comes with Debian (cfdisk, I think
it is called) you need to nominate the type of each Linux partition and the
choices are:

82  native Linux
83  Linux ext
85  Linux swap

I might have the numbers mixed up, but I can check that out when I get to
that part.

Obviously the SWAP partition is "Linux Swap" in type ....
but what do you use for the other partitions? - Linux ... or Linux Ext ?

I would be grateful for any help with these matters.

Kind regards,

James Elliott