[plug] Debian 3.0

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Sep 4 12:49:13 WST 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, James Elliott wrote:

> When partitioning the other 50%, what do I need?
> a boot partition
> a user partition, and
> a swap partition?

The boot partiton is only if your BIOS cannot access the whole drive
for booting. Is this still an issue on new PCs?

You will be rather screwed without a root partition. Its good to keep that
relatively small, and have a much bigger /home.
Its nice to be able to keep /usr mounted read-only, unless you are
constantly installing software.

> You cannot have a boot partition if Windows is already bootable - is that
> right?  (Otherwise Windows gets confused ???)

No. No idea what you are thinking of there.

--
        The origin of Truth is Doubt - Socrates