[plug] Debian 3.0

Jeff Williams jw at globaldial.com
Wed Sep 4 20:14:14 WST 2002

Mike Holland wrote:

>On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, James Elliott wrote:
>

>>When partitioning the other 50%, what do I need?
>>a boot partition
>>a user partition, and
>>a swap partition?
>>

>The boot partiton is only if your BIOS cannot access the whole drive
>for booting. Is this still an issue on new PCs?
>
>You will be rather screwed without a root partition. Its good to keep that
>relatively small, and have a much bigger /home.
>Its nice to be able to keep /usr mounted read-only, unless you are
>constantly installing software.

If you've got a new PC I wouldn't bother about /boot. But its good to
good to have /home on another partition so you can delete and reinstall
if you want to and still have all your stuff waiting for you. Sounds
like /var is good to have also, but if you're on a home machine I'm
thinking its probably not as important.

>>You cannot have a boot partition if Windows is already bootable - is that
>>right?  (Otherwise Windows gets confused ???)
>>

>No. No idea what you are thinking of there.

Only on of the partitions can be marked as bootable, but since most os loaders for linux will boot whatever you tell it to, it doesn't really matter. Just set the windows partition to bootable just in case.

Jeff

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that can do binary
arithmetic and those that can't.