[plug] Anyone got bash tips for an old korn shell user?

Alan Graham alan.graham at infonetsystems.com.au
Wed Sep 4 20:11:46 WST 2002

The majority of my commercial *nix experience has been on AIX, which
used to use ksh as the default shell.  No problems there, I find it for
easier to use than csh, with vi as my editor.

All versions of linux set up bash as the shell.  I install pdksh
everywhere I can, which keeps me happy, but I still keep having to use
bash on other accounts.

The main problem I have is history.  If I want to find an old command in
the history with ksh, I just <esc>, /search string, and <n> back through
all occurrences.  I can even edit it.

I always hated c shell's history handling.  (Now there's a flame war
waiting to happen).  I've tried to learn it, both on c shell accounts on
Solaris and on bash accounts on Linux, and I find it cumbersome as.

So can anyone point me to a tutorial (or even just tell me) that will
explain how to find a previous command (let's say, a mount command),
scroll through all previous mount commands to find the one I want, edit
it to what I want now, and not have it execute until I press enter?  It
shouldn't be hard, I keep hearing how easy bash is to use...

Thanks

Alan