[plug] System slowdown help

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 4 22:59:18 WST 2002

This fits under "Best Practices"

Machines are reserved by MAC when installed.
Reserved IPS are required for most squid / traffic logging

Routers Fixed 1-4
Servers Reserved 5-14
Printers Reserved 15-29
Management Reserved 30-64
Employees / Students dynamic pool 65-249
Service "safe" area fixed 250-253

If need be:-
Switches each running off eth1 eth2 eth3
(yes cabling does require some effort to keep sensical)
Upstream on eth0
Dhcpd1.conf listening on eth1 (eg Staff)
Dhcpd2.conf listening on eth2 (eg General Students)
Dhcpd3.conf listening on eth2 (eg Computing / Media Classrooms)
Iptables & shaping for each (eg different external bandwidth
allocations)

This kind of setup is required while state schools are waiting for both
education networks to finally be plugged in properly at the same time...
(Just mention EdNet and you can triple any quoted time you've heard :)

A "best practice" like this is required for most medium to large
businesses, and you never know when your little customer will get a big
contract and expand rather quickly...

Regards,

Craig F.