[plug] Monitoring dd

Steege, Phil E phil.e.steege at lmco.com
Wed Sep 4 21:42:20 WST 2002

I bought a second 40gb drive because it was cheaper than buying a tape
backup system.
I backed up my linux drive (/dev/hda) using 'dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb
bs=512' and then plan to write a script to compare /dev/hda for differences
and nightly have a cron job copy the changed files over.

When I was doing the dd I wondered if there was a way to monitor the
progress of the dd command, besides seeing the disk activity light flashing?
I wanted to be able to see how much had been copied during the process.

Phil