Which manuals are essential? was Re: [plug] Anyone got bash tips

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Thu Sep 5 09:49:23 WST 2002

On 4 Sep 2002, Alan Graham wrote:

> I just never thought of trying this on bash (*hangs head in shame*).

Sometimes you just need to RTFM.
I know, I know. You use so many programs, it isnt possible to read all the
manuals. But everyone should read their shell manual end-to-end, IMHO.
 It is full of features you might never guess of. Unlike a GUI app,
there are no menus to explore.
  And 'RTFM' (in less terse form, of course) should have been the answer
to the original question. Spoon feeding doesnt encourage good learning.

  Which makes me think: What manuals do _I_ desperately need to read?
Does anyone have a list lying around, of essential Linux reading?

--
        The origin of Truth is Doubt - Socrates