[plug] Sendmail- tutorial for simple setup

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Fri Sep 6 16:22:31 WST 2002

For what you described you don't need an MTA.  For a POP solution, you need
qpopper, cucipop or another pop3 server, and fetchmail.

The fetchmail config file might look like this (where 'bob' is a local user
account):

poll mail.whatever.com proto pop3 user "bobby11" there with password
"passbob" is bob here
*repeated several times*

You can do it in each user home dir too, but i like it all in one spot.

If you are using Debian:

1. apt-get install qpopper fetchmail.
2. create your local users.
3. edit the fetchmail config file.
4. restart fetchmail.
5. reconfigure all the email clients.
6. it works.

I just had to do this as our mail provider throttles us down when too many
connections come from the same IP to their pop server.  So this way
fetchmail does it serially ... works perfectly.

Of course having a local MTA makes things nice and fast for sending mail and
is worth doing, but not mandatory.  It also then gives you the option to
easily ditch your mail provider and go solo.  I'm a sendmail follower too,
once you understand it - it's your (best friend)* :)

Ryan

* conditions apply