[plug] Redhat 7.3 fix from next

Jay Warwick jtwarwick at bigpond.com
Sat Sep 7 07:05:04 WST 2002

I contacted Next Publishing about the problem.  Following is their fix:

Dear Operating in Linux user,

Thank you for contacting us for support. Through user feedback it has
come to our attention that Disc 3 of the CD installation set contains an
error that causes the Red Hat installation to terminate prematurely.
Next apologises for any inconvenience caused by this error.

The problem lies with a corrupt file on Disc 3 named
zsh-4.0.4-5.src.rpm.
zsh is a simple shell similar to ksh, but with some improvements. It is
not included as part of the default Workstation installation but should
you wish to install this file, you can download it from the following
URL, as well as several other mirrors:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/redhat/7.3/i386/zsh-4.0.4-5.i386.html

We stress again that Disc 3 is fully operable and that a default
installation of RedHat installs only two files from this Disc. Disc 3
basically contains extra option utilities and services which are
non-essential. You can, of course, manually install any file from Disc 3
at a later date using GnomeRPM [found in Applications/System] from your
Gnome desktop.

If you have tried to install Linux using the 3 CDs, and are at the stage
where Disc 3 is being rejected as not the correct CD, please press
Ctrl/Alt/Backspace simultaneously and eject Disc 3. Then follow the set
of steps given below.

This is a modified set of steps that will successfully install RedHat
from your CD set.

1. Insert Disc 1 and reboot your system.
2. Hit Enter to boot Anaconda, the graphical installation program.
3. Click through the next few screens (keeping to the default options
unless strictly necessary) until you get to the Automatic Partitioning
Options screen.
4. If you have already performed a failed installation then you will
need to select the "Remove all Linux Partitions" option. Click Next.
5. Choose your Boot Loader. I prefer GRUB but the choice is yours. Click
Next.
6. Set a GRUB password if you so desire. Next.
7. Set your Network and Firewall preferences on the next two screens.
Next.
8. On the Language Selection screen choose English (Australian) in
addition to the default English (USA) and set it as the default
language. You'll thank me for this later. Next.
9. Choose your Time Zone. Next.
10. Enter a root password and DON'T forget it. Next.
11(a). The Selecting Package Groups screen. This is where we make a
slight modification to your installation. Select Custom. You may now Add
the following package groups if you wish. I would recommend selecting
all of them.
- Graphics
- Router/Firewall
- Network Managed Workstation
- Utilities
- Windows Compatibility/Interoperability
- Games and Entertainment
11(b). Check the Select Individual Packages checkbox at the bottom of
the screen (this is essential) and click Next.
12. From the Select Individual Packages screen click
Applications/Emulators from the Tree View folder list and de-select
"wine" if there is a check in the box. [This is a Disc 3 file.] Click
Next.
13. Click Next on the Video Configuration screen.
14. Click Next on the About To Install screen.
15. Installing...[this may take an hour or so, at which point you will
need to insert CD2 to finish off]...Congratulations!

Follow the prompts and reboot your system. Type "root" at the prompt and
then your root password. And revel in the beauty of your new Gnome
desktop.

Thank you for purchasing Operating in Linux 3rd edition, and once again,
we are sorry for any trouble this problem may have caused you, but trust
that this guide has now solved the problem. We assure you that we will
do everything in our power to ensure this does not recur, and hope that
you will continue to enjoy our handbooks.

Cheers
Next Publishing Team
--

Thank you,