[plug] Redhat 7.3 install (argh!!!!)

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Sep 8 11:55:34 WST 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Adrian Blockley wrote:

> Ah now that is interesting. Were you using Next handbooks "Exploring
> Linux" which comes with 3 CDs or the original redhat CD #3? I went back
> to the Newsagent where I bought the original disks and tried a few
> other sets and still had the same problem. The problem wasn't that the
> disk was corrupt but that it didn't have a valid checksum.
> The publisher  sent me an email apologising for the problems with the
> third CD and explained why the CD was causing problems. The basic work
> around is to do an install where the RPMs from the 3rd disk were not
> required. According to the email they sent me the source rpm for zsh
> (which was on the 3rd disk) was corrupted (maybe when they copied the
> original iso?)
> Cheers
>
> Adrian
>
> On 2002.09.06 12:04 Bret Busby wrote:
> > On 5 Sep 2002, Jay Warwick wrote:
> >

> > > As a new Linux user I find this information interesting.  But does
> > the
> > > third disk work or doesn't it.  I have also bought Redhat7.3 only to
> > be
> > > disappointed.
> > >

> > As previously stated in a message that I posted, which was quoted in
> > Adrian Blockley's message, we had no problems with disk #3, both in
> > the
> > copy that we borrowed, and, in the copy that we made of that copy.
> >
> > --
> > Bret Busby

No.

The copy that we used, was from Linux Services WA.

As you were using a third party version of the distribution, depending
on how much it cost you, you might consider either buying the
manufacturer's edition (Red Hat Personal Edition about $35; a newsagent
in Armadale sells it), or, getting a Linux Services WA copy. There is a
price on their website.

I assume that the manufacturer's version should be okay, but, I know
that the copy that we had, which was the Linux Services WA copy, was
good.

How much did your Next version cost you?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988