[plug] pppd problems after kernel recompile

Jason Bainbridge jaseone at myrealbox.com
Sat Sep 7 21:34:53 WST 2002

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 04:09 pm, Tony Clark wrote:
> Just in case update modutils.

Do you mean through apt-get or recompiling it somehow?

> make sure you have a sym link from linux -> linux-2.4.18  some things look
> for that

Not sure what you mean here, do you mean create a symlink linux in /boot that
points to my new bzImage? There is a symlink /vmlinuz that points to
vmlinuz-2.4.18 if that's what you mean. I guess I better go read some more
tutorials on this stuff. :)

> edit Makefile and give it a minor revision number.  That way you can keep
> your original good build and reboot that when other things.

Okay done.

> make mrproper - this makes sure there is nothing left behind.  If your
> happy with you kernel configuration keep a copy of the .config file and cp
> it back after the mrproper stage.
Also done

> make olddeps will rebuild what was in .config

Hmmm do you mean make oldconfig? seems to do what you said.

> make dep && make bzImage modules modules_install
> cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/new-kernel-name
> edit lilo and add the new kernel, or better still kill lilo and use grub
> if lilo
>    lilo
> reboot

Okay I'm going through all that now, I'll let you know how I go. Thanks for
your help so far. :)

Cheers!
Jason