[plug] Another Government goes Open Source

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Tue Sep 10 14:26:29 WST 2002

This is pretty majikal stuff.
But ultimately the best way to get linux/bsd into the govt is ppl in the
service.
HOWEVER, I spent a few years working in IT for the ministry of justice , and
there was a huge resistance to using linux (Although I managed to turn em on
to MySQL
and apache, so half way there).
Basically the problem is;- S - O - fking - E.
Standard Operating Environments , in my opinion, are thoroughly
anti-competitive little
bastards of policy that mean "our MSCE reckons that only microsoft stuff
should be used,
and linux aint microsoft. Tuff".
But I've been stewing on an idea here. Can we get the ACCC to investigate
SOE's and bench
contracts , particularly if they are excluding aust suppliers like WA linux
services etc....
Allan fel's seems to me the sort of bloke that'd take that one on,
particularly if it can be put
that these policies artificially decrease competition in the software
marketplace.

It's an idea.

Shayne.