[plug] PCI or USB ADSL modems

Steve Baker sbaker at icg.net.au
Tue Sep 10 20:48:43 WST 2002

There is a package for the Alcatel USB modem in Mandrake 8.2 (and possibly
others).  This modem looks a bit like a pale green stingray.  I installed it
and got as far as seeing the modem, downloading the microcode and getting an
IP assigned from DHCP.  But, I couldn't get an ifconfig'able device up and
didn't have time to muck about to find the problem.  I ended up going with
an ethernet modem instead.  You may have better luck.  There are FAQ's about
for this modem, which is supposedly very popular in Europe, hence the
Mandrake support, and seems to be prevalent here in Oz too.

Regards,
Steve
--
Steve Baker