[plug] Another Government goes Open Source

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 10 23:46:03 WST 2002

My mate Dwayne may have had something to do with that, he's a team member of
mine, he started up several other language modules for KDE apart from
British English, he's trying to get all 11 languages in SA supported, and
he's got a government grant for it (the jammy git!). Lucky b*stard! ;)

KDE guy

>Pertinent in some ways to Michael's topic tonight, the South African
>government has released a policy framework document which 'recommends
>that government "explicitly" support the adoption of open source
>software as part of its e-government strategy':
>
>http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/computing/2002/0209091122.asp?A=LIN&O=F
>
>And they've set up an official (but still very sparse) OSS site:
>http://www.oss.gov.za/
>
>This follows a discussion paper published in January by a government
>think-tank, which recommended this OSS direction:
>http://www.naci.org.za/docs/opensource.html
>
>The January paper was followed within weeks by an offer direct from
>Bill Gates to the president of S. Africa to provide MS software for
>free to schools and at huge discount to universities. I was among, I
>am sure, many who pointed out to the government the negative results
>of accepting such an offer, and it seems that at least some people in
>government were listening.
>
>Now, how do we achieve the same in WA?
>
>Colin

Make lunch, not war.