[plug] Internet/Multimedia keyboard

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Sep 11 14:23:09 WST 2002

Mike Holland wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Justin wrote:
>

>>apt-get install hotkeys
>

> Ta, I hadnt heard of that. Looking ...
> hmmm, isnt adding an extra daemon rather an awkward way of handling extra
> keys? If you want the key actions to be global (not used by the focussed
> app), I would have though the window manager is the place to do it.
>
>   Are there any Debian packages to add the extra keys in KDE or Gnome
> just by changing existing config files?

not AFAIK. Many window managers are bloody useless at configuring keys
to do global actions (*cough* kwm *cough*) esp as launchers - so be
aware that a daemon may be the way to go. That said, here's my .Xmodmap:

-------
!
! Map MS Keyboard keys
!
! Back
keycode 234=XF86Launch0
keycode 233=XF86Launch1
! Stop
keycode 232=XF86Launch2
keycode 229=XF86Launch3
! Favourites
keycode 230=XF86Launch4
! Web/Home
keycode 178=XF86Launch5
! Mail
keycode 236=XF86Launch6
! "MY Computer"
keycode 235=XF86Launch7
! "Calc"
keycode 161=XF86Launch8
! "Sleep"
keycode 223=XF86Launch9
--------

The scancodes can be determined by using "xev" and mapped to keysyms
from /usr/X11R6/include/X11/XF86keysym.h

I seem to remember that there are things like XF86Mail too instead of
Launchx keys, but I just couldn't be stuffed.

I'm sure theres an easier way of doing this, but in my case I wanted to
be able to map the keys through Enlightenment (and now IceWM) for some
to execute arbitrary commands and others to do things like workspace
switching. Hotkeys was not an option.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)