[plug] Broadband problems Rockingham.

Kai vk6ksj at siwa.com.au
Wed Sep 11 15:08:17 WST 2002

Classic symptoms of pair gain would be:
- you can't connect above 28,800 or 31,200
- you get disconnected for no reason and your ISP says they're not
disconnecting you (if this is the case, ask your ISP for a copy of your
connection logs and see if you're being disconnected from lost carrier).
In this case the disconnections may be caused by the electronic line
splitting device which Telstra may have installed at the pit in your
street where your pair comes in...

I had a chat to a Telstra linesman who came to fix an earthing problem
with the pair that I'm connected to, he said, legally, Telstra does not
have to tell you if you're on pair gain or not, but if you can find
evidence that you probably are on it, you can nag the hell out of
Telstra so much that they might get sick of you and change you onto a
normal pair...but nothing is guarenteed.

Good luck !

/Kai