[plug] Sendmail- masquerading

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed Sep 11 19:25:21 WST 2002

> The only problem left to solve is making sure internal
> email is always recognized as such and never gets out.

If the domain name you use internally is recognised by sendmail as a local domain as discussed in the previous email, it will never get out.  Even if it doesn't it won't find the mail server for your fake domain and return an error and if you use a smarthost, that would return an error too.  This hinges on the assumption that all email clients relay through the server of course.

Seeing as the server is not actually the MX for your real domain (becuase you are using fetchmail), you could probably add the real domain (if it is unique to your organisation) to the local domains list too and then mail sent to the real email addresses would get stopped and delivered locally, naturally if we are talking about addresses like user at iinet.net.au then this would not be something you'd want to do (because anything sent to @iinet.net.au would get stopped and local delivery attempted on it).  Keeping in mind of course that EVERY user in your unique domain would have to be in your office and have access to this mail server or you have a whole set of other issues to contend with.

Was that jumbled enough?

Ryan