[plug] Sendmail- masquerading

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 12 16:48:55 WST 2002

I think I may(?) be getting closer to the problem. Some symptoms- I
cannot 'telnet mailserver smtp' from my mailclient machine, or from the
mailserver machine.
When I user pine on the mailserver I have tried two different
configurations;
Firstly with smpt-server set blank.  (sendmail by default).  This can
send mail no problem apart from two small problems
a. with external mail the username needs to be changed to the username
at the isp.
b. internal mail is being masqueraded and it shouldn't be.
Secondly, with smtp-server set to localhost or mailserver.  This results
in an error message "Connection failed to localhost,25: Connection refused"

I have set  the access to include
localhost .localdomain     relay
localhost    relay
127.0.0.1    relay
192.168.1   relay

The local-host-names contains localhost, mailserver and a few other host
names.

The sendmail.cf was created with FEATURE(genericstable) with "localname
 ispname" pairs for the local accounts so I would have thought the
username would have been changed along with the domain for all outgoing
mail.  Why is the genericstable being ignored?

Any pointers?

Thanks,
Tim