[plug] Broadband problems Rockingham.

Jon L. Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Wed Sep 11 20:25:06 WST 2002

from experience this is how I was able to tell if I was on a rim/pair
gain or substation.  Ask your ISP for adsl, they will then forward the
request to their dsl provider who will in turn on your behalf ask
telstra to test the line.  Your ISP will be able to tell you if you are
one of the 3 systems or if you qualify.  Once armed with this
information call telstra and ask "nicely" (if you are on pair-gain) if
they can find a cable in the exchange for you.  Sometimes it works
sometimes it doesn't.  Supposedly from a reliable ex-telstra employee it
is a legal issue as to why telstra cannot give adsl on a pair-gain
system, but if asked "nicley" you increase your chances.  Also find out
if another dsl provider has a dslam in the exchange.  If so ask them to
get you connected.  Telstra will only answer question pertaining to
them.  I found this out the hard way at our proposed new site.  We had
to put in a line first to get it tested and pay for this.  If the line
is no good we have to pay to get it disconnected and try again some
where else.  Now if this isn't a load of B__S__.

--
Jon L. Miller
MMT Networks Pty Ltd

`When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just
stare at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for
free*".'
                - Linus Torvalds