[plug] SQL question

Colin Muller colin at twobluedots.com.au
Thu Sep 12 15:03:01 WST 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 02:54:37PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> We are looking at developing a program that requires a SQL back end
> system.  At first thoughts everyone is looking toward M$ SQL for
> their answer.  The front-end will be written in VB.  My question is
> can this also work with the likes of postgresql or mysql? After the
> initial phase is written it will need to be able to integrate and be
> available via a web browser. Any suggestion?

As long as they write to ODBC, they can use pgsql or mysql:
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?odbc.html
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Installing_MyODBC.html

If they just want a friendly interface to work with their databases,
there are many choices with browser or Java interfaces, etc:
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Databases/PostgreSQL/
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Databases/MySQL/

Colin