[plug] Please proofread this now if you can (PLUG, SLPWA, LCA )

Richard Henry r.henry at murdoch.edu.au
Fri Sep 13 08:49:58 WST 2002

> Linux is a POSIX-standard Unix-like operating system which
> started life in
> 1992 as a rewrite by a Finnish student named Linus
> (pronounced Lee-nuss)
> Torvalds of an academic version of Unix called Minix. He

POSIX-compliant is the terminology I think you are after.  And I think (!)
that what someone mentioned about UNIX needing to be uppercase is correct.

"Recently, the finish of the desktop end of things has aquired sufficient
polish to make serious inroads into the desktop environment".

"aquired" should be "acquired".  And by "serious inroads into the desktop
environment" do you mean "serious inroads into the home desktop market",
which is what it implies?  Because that IS a blatant lie. ;)  Or at least a
gross exaggeration.

Perhaps something like:

"The polished finish of recent desktops, combined with a continual push by
developers to improve and simplify the installation process across the
board, has laid the groundwork for a concerted push to bring linux into the
domestic home market."

My 2c,
Rich.