[plug] Stripping out Markups in SQL

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Fri Sep 13 11:40:27 WST 2002

On Saturday 31 August 2002 10:41, J Michael Gilks wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:34, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> You might try using the replace() function to replace the markup with an
> empty string.
> Something like
> SELECT REPLACE("table.name", "<*>", "")
> FROM table
> ORDER BY table.name
>
> Should replace all markups in the recordset.

Unfortunately, REPLACE doesn't seem to support wildcards. (Not even the SQL %
wildcard).

> Big bad thought, won't display the markups. If you need to see that maybe
> SELECT the resource in full and only display that column.

I'm already selecting both the unhacked field for display, and the hacked
field for sorting...

On Sunday 01 September 2002 21:25, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:34, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> > And yet, all I want to do is the equivalent of the perl:  s/\<.*?\>//gs;
>
> Dare I suggest that certain SQL databases support stored PERL procedures?
> (-:
>
>     http://www.tangent.org/~brian/talks/dbsummit_perl/

Ooooh! Does this exist yet, or is it still in the Wet Dream stage of
development? ^_^

>     http://www.gnujobs.com/Articles/20/Perl_PostgreSQL.html
>     http://www.roth.net/pub/ntperl/conference/perlodbc.ppt (note filetype)

OpenOffice shows it fine (although running the presentation is icky on 2
monitors/xinerama ^_^)

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |