[plug] "srm.conf" left out after Apache removal then reinstall on Debian Potatoe

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sat Sep 14 20:04:42 WST 2002

On 14 Sep 2002 19:00:56 +0800 Daniel <cottmain at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been having some problems with an apache ..
<snip>
> I plan to try "apt-get --purge remove apache" next time - Is this right
> and does 'Purge' solve this problem and allow a successful reinstall?
> Has anyone else come across this or is there something else I am doing
> wrong?

Your use of --purge sounds like the best plan to me Daniel because it will
remove all the config files so

apt-get install apache

will see a clean slate. The only thing that I'm thinking could still trip things
up relates to a similar experience I had with:

apt-get install nfs-client

This had the package portmap as a dependency so it was installed also. But when
you do:

apt-get remove nfs-client

it doesn't remove portmap. This makes sense because how does debian know that
you want to throw away portmap ? Also, some other package (installed later)
might also depend on portmap. It's a tricky one but I wonder if your apache
situation is similar. Is there possibly a package, loaded as an apache
dependency, that you need to remove too so you get all of your configuration
files back when you re-install ? Do you know which package creates the srm.conf
file ? Knowing this might pinpoint that package for "remove --purge" and
"install".

Have you considered a:

dpkg-reconfigure apache

to see if that reconstructs your config files ? Or, if the srm.conf belongs to
another package then:

dpkg-reconfigure <that_package>

Apache wizards may say "Nah Nah Just do this .." but if they're all out partying
in this wonderful weather (or sitting in the dark) this might get you running.

> Any help greatly appreciated .....

Well, you did ask :)

cu
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://linux.conf.au/		22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/