[plug] "srm.conf" left out after Apache removal then reinstall on Debian Potatoe

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Sep 15 22:59:36 WST 2002

> I removed the config files then "apt-get remove apache" then "apt-get
> clean" then "apt-get install apache" only to find it had not reinstalled
> "srm.conf", a main setup file (or it had, but it was zero bytes).
>
> I plan to try "apt-get --purge remove apache" next time - Is this right
> and does 'Purge' solve this problem and allow a successful reinstall?

Hmm... think it's "dpkg --purge apache" but otherwise all should be
well. --purge removes all config files etc, allowing a "clean" install -
but yeah, it might. That said I've never had any problems upgrading
apache or anything.

That said, Apache no longer uses access.conf or srm.conf - everything
you need should  be in httpd.conf. It was probably unable to fix your
config files because of the way you removed apache. (note: Potato may
actually still use the old apache 3 file scheme, but I don't think so).