[plug] [hardware] PC assembly - fried Duron?

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Mon Sep 16 14:52:54 WST 2002

Folks,
I've assembled a basic box: Duron-1200 and ASUS MB with integrated nVidea
graphics, and maybe got careless.  After power-supply is turned on, and
the soft-start button pressed, I see fans and peripherals power up, but no
beeps or video out.
  In assembly, I first put the huge CPU-heatsink on the wrong way,
resulting in a tiny tilt of heatsink on CPU. So tiny I didnt notice. The
HS still press firmly on the pads around the chip, but also touched the
socket-A. It would have been maybe 0.1mm of heatsink-paste-filled gap
at one end of the chip.  Could it have overheated in a minute, or am I
being paranoid? I'd like to know before returning to the shop.

   Fortunately, its only a Duron, which is cheap as chips. Hahahahahaha.
There were two jumpers on the motherboard, and it set for 100MHz fsb and
133MHz memory. Anything else I should try first? (I dont have DDR or CPU
here to swap)

--
        The origin of Truth is Doubt - Socrates