[plug] 1000Mb Networks/NICs

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Sep 17 11:10:29 WST 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Nick Bannon wrote:

> -----
> # Gigabit Ethernet NIC:
>
> Alfa AGC3002, 1000Base-T PCI NIC, supports 10/100/1000 Mbps
> auto-negotiation, supports full-duplex mode with network data rate to
> 20/200/2000 Mbps, built-in FIFO buffers.
> [...]
> # Set up driver for AGC3002
>
> This was a pain. The native driver could be compiled for 2.2.x kernels
> only. The driver for ns83820 chipset in 2.4.18 and 2.4.19 kernels worked
> over 100 Mbs network, but not over 1000 Mbs. The driver ns820.c from
> scyld site seemed to work, but generated errors, and we used to loose
> processes with it. At the moment, we use driver for DGE-500T, which
> seems to work OK. Therefore, download and compile the driver for
> DGE-500T. Run ``install -m 644 dpm.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net/''. Add
> ``insmod dpm'' to /etc/init.d/boot.local.
>
>     * Note: do not add ``MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");'' to dp.c. While this
>     fixes warning during the module boot, it makes the cluster
>     unstable.

Heh ? .... Module license is a marco that just adds a byte string to
the .modinfo section on in the object file.  Unless the module itself
is flaky it should have no impact on stability .... I guess the
key word there is _should_.

>     * Note: You may wish to compile driver for the server with
>     ``-D__SMP__'' flag. This significantly (by about 15%) improves
>     throughput from server to client via gigabit subnet.

Hmmmm Unless they have said "use an SMP machine, with an SMP kernel" in the
docs beforehand this seems like a rather dogey statement.

I'm sure what they say is correct but it doesn't make sense to me.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!