[plug] Help on Importing Access DB into MySQL

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Sep 23 14:12:04 WST 2002

> Unless you're an extremely unusual Access user, your database consists
> of a lot more than a database schema and some data. Queries, Access
> forms, VBA modules and reports are not touched by any conversion tool
> I've seen (if I'm wrong and someone knows of one, *PLEASE* let me know.
> Quickly :-)

What this comes down to, in my book, is that MS Access is actually a
fairly impressive app. The only thing I know that comes close is
FileMaker (which I haven't used since version 1.0, so a lot could've
changed!). I'd _love_ to see something like access available, esp if it
could integrate nicely into OpenOffice - its one of the big weak-points
in the current Open Source application "stable".

Of course, as others have mentioned, nothing stops you using access ->
MySQL through ODBC, or even better access -> PostgreSQL. Its a useful
half-way point which, crucially, keeps your _data_ off your windows box.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)