[plug] Redhat + KDE + key/mon/mouse switch: mouse deconfigs?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Sep 24 09:31:04 WST 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Denis Brown wrote:

> Dear PLUG members,
>
> The following from a colleague.  I have done google'ing, altavista'ing and
> so forth.  Closest I come is the suggestion that "some cheap kvm switches
> give this problem.  I have no idea what breed of kvm switch my colleague is
> using but any thoughts would be valued!
>
> "I have 2 PC's on my desk connected with 1 keyboard/mouse/monitor via a
> 2-port switch box (press the button to switch between boxes).
> 1 Box in WinXP, which works fine, and the other is Redhat 7.3. If I use
> the WinXP box for an extended period (more than an hour or so), when I
> switch back to the Redhat box, the mouse operation is all over the
> place, and I cannot use KDE. If I can manage to quit KDE, then re-start
> a fresh KDE session, then the mouse is OK.
> I have seen similar problems before when I have the wrong emulation set
> for the mouse - but this is odd as it initially works fine. Is there a
> timeout setting that checks mouse connectivity that might need adjusting
> here? I am guessing that after a set time, Redhat assumes the mouse is
> missing and drops the emulation function. When I then switch back to the
> box, it sees hardware it knows nothing of in effect, and is unable to
> 'plug & play'.
> (The mouse is an MS IR Intellimouse)"
>
> I've seen references to timeouts and mice but only in the context of
> 3-button emulation.   I guess one option is to forget the kvm switch and
> just run something like VNC (server) on the XP and use the RH box natively
> and as the VNC client for the XP.
> TIA,
> Denis

I think the problem is the switchbox.

We used a switchbox here, to share a monitor and keyboard between two
computers, and between three computers. From time to time, the keyboard
would not respond, and the monitor display would go wonky. When we
simply stopped using the switchbox, the problems disappeared. Best to
just get the extra peripherals, and use one for each computer.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988