[plug] Redhat + KDE + key/mon/mouse switch: mouse deconfigs?

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Wed Sep 25 10:41:17 WST 2002

Hi Bret

I am interested in your comments because I use a 2-port KVM switch (D-Link)

So far I have had no problems with Linux or Win98, but recently noticed the
occasional hiccup with WinXP - keyboard errors etc.

I remember reading the pamphlet that came with the switch and that anomalies
can occur if yo move the mouse or hit a key within so many milliseconds of
switching, otherwise the D-Link switch emulates the mouse and keyboard to
the 'offline' computer.  I can only speak for D-Link, and a programmer
friend with a mechanical switch and 5 Linux boxes had trouble and has
replaced his switch with a D-Link.

I might persevere with the KVM switch as space is limited in my case, but
count to "1" or "2" before touching anything after switching computers.  I
will let you know how it goes.

James Elliott