[plug] File-systems and Windows

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Sep 24 09:40:33 WST 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, James Elliott wrote:

> I would like to comment on VFAT vs NTFS with regard to Windows/Linux
> installations, based on yesterday's experience.

We have multiple boot systems; Win98/WinNT4/RH7.3, and two
Win98/WinNT4/RH6.2.

WinNT4 cannot access FAT32, so our use of it for shared data, is
excluded. For data to be shared between the systems, we use FAT16.
Whilst it is less efficient storage, than NTFS and FAT32, it can be
accessed by each OS, and, it can be defragmented by Win98 software. I do
not know whether WinXP provides any defragmentation utilities for NTFS
(or any of the other filesystem formats), but it was not available for
WinNT4.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988