[plug] File-systems and Windows

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Sep 24 14:30:33 WST 2002

> Apart from the pathos of it all - the point I really want to make is this:
> it might be much safer to select FAT32 as your file system when and if
> Linux as well.

Maybe... but NTFS is a _lot_ more robust. I frequently see problems with
directory corruption on fat32, and a very common issue with misreported
free space too. Not nice. I certainly wouldn't want to have the boot
volume on fat32, being inclined to keep a separate fat32 partition for
data interchange instead if I had to.

Of course, I never keep any data of value on any windows install on my
systems, so I'm quite happy to overwrite them with a fresh disk image
_when_ they die. Got a DAT tape sitting on my desk now, labeled "laptop
win2k clean image" :-) which I can DD over the network to my laptop's
win2k partition if win2k dies. A very nice command for those of you with
laptops (limited storage, no DAT etc) and desktops with big drives or
tape drives:

If windows is on hda:

dd if=/dev/hda | ssh desktop-pc-hostname dd of=laptop_win_disk.img

In other words, for those who didn't already know, you can pipe data
(any data, binary not a problem) through an ssh connection from stdin on
one end to stdout on the other.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)