[plug] Partitioning Hard Disk

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Wed Sep 25 18:01:00 WST 2002

I have built a new machine with a 20 GB HDD

I want to partition it so that approximately
10 GB is for Windows XP, and
10 GB is for Debian Linux

I was just setting up these partitions using Partition Magic:
1.  10 GB NTFS  Primary  Active ... for WinXP
2.  54 MB Linux Ext2 for Linux Boot
2a   8 GB Linux Ext2 for /usr and so on
2b   1 GB Linux Swap for Swap sapce

However, when you create a partition PQMagic wants you to specify whether it
is Primary,  Extended, or  Logical .... and I don't know what to do for 2.
2a.  and 2b

I thought the linux Boot partition should be Primary but got a warning
message that Windows will only accept one VISIBLE primary partition and data
may be lost if I boot into Windows.

Should Linux be in an Extended partition or a Primary partition? ... and
what should each Linux sub-partition be?  Primary or logical?

As you can see  - I need help here  :o)

James Elliott