[plug] Partitioning Hard Disk

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Wed Sep 25 18:05:51 WST 2002

James,

I would suggest you use Partition Magic to set up the 10GB partition for
WinXP, then let your Linux install take care of partitioning the rest for you
(or manually partition during the install if you don't like the defaults).

Also, do you have 1GB of RAM in that machine? If not, a general rule of thumb
is to size the swap partition according to the amount of RAM you intend
having in the machine.

HTH
Steve

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:01, James Elliott wrote:
> I have built a new machine with a 20 GB HDD
>
> I want to partition it so that approximately
> 10 GB is for Windows XP, and
> 10 GB is for Debian Linux
>
> I was just setting up these partitions using Partition Magic:
> 1.  10 GB NTFS  Primary  Active ... for WinXP
> 2.  54 MB Linux Ext2 for Linux Boot
> 2a   8 GB Linux Ext2 for /usr and so on
> 2b   1 GB Linux Swap for Swap sapce

[snip]