[plug] [link] Good news if you interoperate with Apple gear

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Sep 26 16:46:59 WST 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:42, Bret Busby wrote:
> Does that mean that (eventually) we will be able to connect an Apple Mac
> to a Linux server?

You can now. `man ddp' or `man atalk'.

> I have been wondering, from time to time, about getting a cheap old Mac,
> and connecting it to our LAN, for testing website compatibility with a
> Mac browser interface. I do not know whether a Mac at present would be
> able to connect to a Linux server using TCP/IP, as I have little
> knowledge of Mac's.

They also speak TCP/IP fluently, since (I think) Mac OS8.

Rendezvous just makes it all automagic. Plug Apples and printers together,
they quickly agree on who everyone is and how to talk, zero configuration.
CUPS is like/part of that. Best of all, it works with 100% published and open
RFCs.

Cheers; Leon